Hello. We are Apollo, specialists in IT Support, Cloud Phones, Broadband and Computer Systems for businesses. Based in Devon - and serving the UK. We are your team of technology experts: our clients range from Charities to Marinas. As an ISO 9001:2015 registered firm we are committed to quality and improvement in everything we deliver.
15 short tips to Stop Ransomware getting on your computer
Ransomware is one of the most disruptive IT issues for any business and the number of attacks and cases of companies paying the ransom is in the news constantly. Business need a plan how to deal with this growing threat. To read the original Heimdal article in full please follow the link here https://heimdalsecurity.com/blog/what-is-ransomware-protection/#ransomwaredecryption
The 15 key things you can do to prevent an attack are,
- Don’t store important data only on your PC.
- Take 2 backups of data: on an external hard drive and in the cloud – LiveDrive, DropBox etc.
- Turn Dropbox/LiveDrive/OneDrive/etc. application on your computer off by default. Only open them once a day, to synchronise data, and close them when completed.
- Check the operating system and the software you use is up to date, including the latest security updates.
- For daily use, do not use an administrator account on your computer
- Turn off macros in the Microsoft Office suite – Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.
In the web browser
- Remove the following plugins from my browsers: Adobe Flash, Adobe Reader, Java and Silverlight. If I absolutely have to use them, I set the browser to ask me if I want to activate these plugins when needed.
- Adjust your browser’s security and privacy settings for increased protection.
- Remove outdated plugins and add-ons from my browsers.
- Use an ad-blocker to avoid the threat of potentially malicious ads.
- Never open spam emails or emails from unknown senders.
- Never download attachments from spam emails or suspicious emails.
- Never click links in spam emails or suspicious emails.
Anti-ransomware security tools
- Use a reliable, paid antivirus product that includes an automatic update module and a real-time scanner.
- Understand the importance of having a traffic-filtering solution that can provide proactive anti-ransomware protection.
You did not do the above and you have suffered Data Encryption. Try the link below.